Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How to Buy a Bra for Your Girlfriend or Wife

I'm not about to call myself a bra expert. After all, I'm a guy; I don't need a bra. I rarely pay attention to their size, shape, or cost. But recently, when I went Christmas shopping for my girlfriend, my bra ignorance haunted me.

My girlfriend had told me a number of times about a bra. I remember her mentioning one brand in particular, a brand that was comfortable and had a sexy design. But I couldn't remember the name of the brand.

I visited a lingerie store. I browsed. I saw many, many bras. They were colorful, but beyond that I couldn't really see any difference between them.

A saleswoman approached. She asked me what I was looking for, my girlfriend's size, and if I had a particular brand in mind. I gave an embarrassing, ignorant answer.

"She's a little taller than you. Maybe a bit bigger," I said.

The saleswoman shook her head, smiled consolingly. I left, but not before promising I'd be back with more information.

I sat down at the computer and researched bras. My first step was to find the brand my girlfriend wanted. But I also wanted to understand how bras affected women's posture, what made a bra comfortable. Before long, though, my curiosity got the best of me. I started reading about the history of bras, their place in fashion history.

I have to admit it. I found the story interesting.

Women wore different types of undergarments as far back as the 1400's. The 1500's witnessed the advent of the corset, a garment that elevated the breasts. As time passed, bras evolved into girdles, a garment that restrained a woman's stomach and suspended her breasts from her upper torso and shoulders.

The Chinese invented the first cloth and cup bra, with shoulder straps and a girth seam that locked behind the back. This bra was popular among many wealthy women, and paved the way for variations on the contemporary bra.

The modern fashion era produced diverse styles and designs. Some bras had padded cups, which often increased comfort. Others focused on backstraps and underbands, which provided support and good posture.

Eventually, my search reached the present day.

I needed to find that particular bra, the one that would fit my girlfriend perfectly. A sexy, comfortable bra, the one she wanted as a Christmas present.

But searching for bras online is like flipping through a year's worth of junk mail. In order to find a specific letter, you have to be patient and know what you're looking for.

Then I remembered France.

France was instrumental in the evolution of the bra. The manufacturers there are widely considered the best in the world. My girlfriend loves France. I remembered her bra of choice was French.

OK. Search French bras. Result: Chantelle.

Chantelle has over one hundred years of manufacturing experience. Their bras are designed to enhance a woman's comfort and image. They use exclusive laces and embroideries, bringing a superior standard of quality to their products.

This sounded familiar. I visited their website. Now I was confident I had found the right brand. I wasn't ready to buy yet, though. I went into my girlfriend's bureau. I confirmed her bra size. Then I read some more.

Here's some advice from Lilliana Mann, a bra size expert:

1) Buy the best bra you can afford.

2) Larger breasted women should avoid smooth cups because there is not enough support.

3) Bra straps should not slip off the shoulders.

4) Try on every bra. Brands and styles vary.

Armed with this information I returned to the lingerie store. I knew my girlfriend wanted a Chantelle bra. I knew her size. But I also knew that she should try on her bras herself.

The saleswoman approached. I said Chantelle. She looked impressed. I found the size. The woman explained the choice was a sexy, comfortable bra. I said I’d take it.

At the checkout counter, I bought a gift certificate--enough to buy two more Chantelle bras. This was the best of both worlds.

I gave my girlfriend the bra she wanted. But it was no harm if it didn't fit perfectly. She could return to the lingerie store, find one that did, and pick out two more while she was at it.

“Or just visit our Bits of Lace Website,” the saleswoman explained. “We have more to choose from online.

No comments:

Post a Comment